Black Lives Matter Enfield and Extinction Rebellion have launched a campaign STEIN - Stop the Edmonton Incinerator Now.
Please sign our petition against the rebuild of the Edmonton Incinerator. By doing this, you can take an important step towards changing the minds of local politicians and help prevent the construction of this deadly project.
If this project goes ahead, it will pump toxic particles and greenhouse gases into the air we breathe. It will burn household waste - most of which should be recycled (including toxic plastic!) - and cost taxpayers £1.2 billion in construction costs.
- The good news is our campaign IS building momentum:
Thanks to the hard work of a dedicated group of campaigners, Camden Council (one of the seven boroughs whose waste will be sent to the incinerator) have stated they will set up a committee to examine whether or not the rebuild should go ahead.
- Local press has picked up on the story in Enfield, Hackney, Islington and Camden and we continue to make more waves and draw attention to our campaign every day.
- A major leafleting campaign, run jointly by Black Lives Matter Enfield and Extinction Rebellion is under way in Edmonton. Designed to alert local people to the environmental disaster unfolding on their doorstep. The associated petition is gaining more signatures every day.
What you can do now
We realise these are very difficult times, but if you can feel you can help more, there are a number ways to further support our campaign.
- Join us to deliver more leaflets in the local area. Even delivering them to one road, once a week makes a BIG difference. To do this please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate to our leafleting campaign. We have managed to leaflet much of Edmonton. We hope to spread the work to other local areas who will be directly affected by the toxic fumes of the incinerator. To do this we need donations to help with printing costs. You can donate here.
- Join STEIN – Stop the Edmonton Incinerator Now - and become part of a friendly but determined group of local people determined to stop the rebuild.
- Write to your local councillors asking them to support our campaign. Here is a template letter (action 4).
- Help spread the word. Send this petition link to your friends and family or post it on your social media and encourage others to make a difference too.
Delia Mattis, Black Lives Matter, Enfield
Once again THANK YOU! We are making progress and if we keep the momentum up, we really believe we can stop this deadly rebuild of the Edmonton Incinerator and make a huge difference to ALL our lives.
Black Lives Matter Enfield and Extinction Rebellion